- Summit County Probate Court - https://summitohioprobate.com -

I’m Getting Married

In Ohio, the Probate Court issues marriage licenses. Once the license is issued, it is valid for 60 days. If 60 days pass without getting married, the marriage license expires and you must reapply for a new license.

When applying for a license, both applicants must appear at the Court.  The court will not issue a license to anyone who appears under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

To view a video on the Marriage Application process, please click on: Marriage Video [1]

Residency Requirements:

If you plan to get married in Ohio, you must have an Ohio marriage license. Apply for your license in the County where either of you live.

If you live outside Ohio, but plan to get married in Ohio, apply for a license in the County where the ceremony will take place.

If you apply here, but your identification shows residency in another county, the Court requires proof of Summit County residency (Utility Bill, Cable Bill, Rental/Lease Agreement, Bank Statements, etc.)

Information Needed:

Each applicant must provide their Social Security number (kept confidential), current address, age, birth date, place of birth, and birth names of each father and mother. If the birth name of the parent is unknown, you must bring your birth certificate to the Court. Applicants must have a valid government-issued photo ID (Driver’s License, State ID, Passport, Military ID, or Green Card).

Fill out the Marriage License Application [2] and review all the information for accuracy.

Print the completed application form. You and the person you are marrying must bring the completed application and all necessary information to the Summit County Probate Court. In order to process your application and issue a license, it is advised that you be at the Court no later than 3:45 p.m.

Marriage License – FAQ’s [3]

Previous Marriages:

If your most recent marriage ended by divorce, dissolution or annulment, you must bring a CERTIFIED copy of the final decree or judgment entry to the Court at the time of your application. If your most recent marriage ended due to a death, the date of death for your previous spouse must be included on the application.

Marriage License Fee:

The marriage license is $50.00,

Officials Permitted to Perform a Marriage Ceremony:

An ordained or licensed minister of any religious society or congregation within Ohio licensed to perform marriages, an authorized judge of a county court, a judge of a municipal court, the mayor of a municipal corporation within their own county, the superintendent of the state school for the deaf, or any religious society, in conformity with the rules and regulations of its church are permitted to perform a marriage ceremony. Civil marriage ceremonies may be scheduled by calling the Akron Municipal Court at (330) 375-2059.

Ministers may obtain information about licensing requirements by contacting:

State of Ohio Office of The Secretary of State
30 E. Broad St., 14th Floor
Columbus, OH 43266-0418
www.sos.state.oh.us [4]

Change of Name:

Although it is not mandatory to do so, you may take your spouse’s last name.  It is your responsibility to notify the appropriate agencies and businesses.  This includes: credit accounts, banks, the Social Security Administration, and the Bureau of Motor Vehicles to have the driver’s license changed.

Information on changing your name with Social Security may be obtained by contacting:

Social Security Administration
2nd Floor Federal Building
2 South Main Street
Akron, OH 44308
www.ssa.gov [5]

Legal Proof of Marriage and Certified Copies:

Probate Court retains a record (marriage abstract) for every marriage license issued in Summit County. If legal proof of your marriage is needed, a certified copy of the abstract may be obtained in the Probate Court Records Room.

The Court’s “Historical Marriage Index” contains Summit County marriage records from September 9, 1980 to the present. These records can be accessed through Records Search.

Marriage Records before September 9, 1980, can be accessed through Ancestry.com [6].

Destination Weddings:

For couples planning to marry outside the United States, you must contact the Country and location where your ceremony will be performed to obtain a marriage license.

Couples married outside the United States are not required to submit any documentation to the Summit County Probate Court.

Obtaining a Marriage Record of Your Destination Wedding:

If you marry outside the United States, Summit County Probate Court will not have a record of your marriage in our database.  To obtain a certified copy of your marriage record, you must contact the Country and location where your marriage took place.

Marriage of Minors:

The minimum age to apply for a marriage license is eighteen (18) years of age.  If one or both of the applicants is under the age of 18, you must have the consent of the Juvenile Court (330) 643-2900.

Inmate Marriage:

If you plan to marry an individual who is currently incarcerated, please click on the link below for more information.
Marriage Inmate Info [7]