Will Deposit

Instructions for Depositing or Removing an Original Will

Your original Last Will and Testament may be deposited with the Court for safekeeping. When the will has been filed, the contents are confidential until the deposited will is removed.

To deposit an original Last Will and Testament, you have three options:

  • Present the original will to a Probate Clerk at the filing counter
  • Have an attorney present the will on your behalf
  • Mail your request, along with payment, to Summit County Probate Court, 209 S. High Street, Akron, OH 44308.

How to Deposit an Original Will:

  • Bring your original will to Probate Court.
  • The Court Clerk will fill out a Deposit of Will Slip.
  • Pay the filing fee.
  • The will is then placed in the Court’s vault for safekeeping.
  • A Certificate of Deposit of Will confirmation will be mailed to your home.

How to Remove a Deposited Will:

  • You must appear in person at the Filing Desk with a photo ID.
  • A Probate Clerk will complete a Removal of Will from Deposit Slip.
  • If you are unable to appear in person, you may sign the Certificate of Deposit of Will (in the presence of a notary) and name a specific person to remove the will.
  • There is no fee for removing a deposited will.

Opening an Estate when a Will is on Deposit:

  • When a will is on deposit, and an estate needs to be opened, specific forms must be filed for the Court to release the will. A Court clerk will assist you with the necessary forms for your specific case.
  • Upon proof of death of the testator (name of the will), a Probate Clerk will review the deposited will to determine who is named as the executor.
  • A copy of the will may also be released to the next of kin (a copy of the obituary and a photo I.D. is required; fees apply).

If the estate is to be administered in a county other than Summit, or in a state other than Ohio, the Judge from that court must request the release of the will. The Last Will and Testament will then be sent by certified mail to the out-of-county court.

Filing Fee:

  • The filing fee is $25.00.
  • If you use a credit card, a 3% charge will be added.
  • No personal out-of-state checks will be accepted.