Filing for a Foreign Birth Record will give you an Ohio birth record for an adopted foreign child living in Summit County.
Please discuss with legal counsel the best course of action for your family when it comes to foreign birth record or foreign re-adoption. It is important to note that the Court cannot give any legal advice so you should consult with an attorney and licensed Ohio public adoption agency with any legal questions.
The following guidelines may not be a completely comprehensive list but should help you in the process with your attorney.
When filing for a Request for Foreign Birth Record
- All forms must be typed.
- All necessary paperwork must be provided at the time of filing
- Use full birth-names and no initials.
- If there is no middle name or initial, use (NMI) in the spaces provided.
- Make sure all signatures are included on all forms.
- Case numbers will be completed by the clerk.
What I need to do when requesting a Foreign Birth Record:
- Bring the original and a copy of the Foreign Adoption Decree or Certificate of Adoption, and the birth certificate. If these documents are in a language other than English, you must bring a certified translation of each document.
- Bring the original and a copy of the passport, visa and citizenship papers.
- A certified copy of the original Birth Certificate for the petitioner(s).
- A certified copy of the petitioner’s Marriage License and certified copy of all divorce decrees if applicable.
- At the time of filing, adoptive parents must provide a certified copy of their birth certificates and marriage license.
- If the birth date needs to be corrected, you must have a letter from a doctor explaining why the birth date needs to be changed. The Court will review each document and return all of the originals to you.
Fill out and file these forms:
- Form 19.2  – Petition to Recognize Foreign Adoption
- Form 19.3  – Order for Ohio Birth Record of Foreign Born Child
- Form HEA 2757  – Certificate of Adoption
- The filing fee is $50.00.
- If you use a credit card, a 3% charge will be added.
- Make checks payable to “Summit County Probate Court.”
- In addition to the filing fee, the cost for a new birth certificate is $21.50. This can only be paid by a money order, and made payable to “Treasurer, State of Ohio.”
- A certified copy of the Order for an Ohio Birth Record of a Foreign Born Child is $1.10.
Note: The Court cannot advise you of which is the proper course of action (foreign birth record or foreign adoption) for your child. Please consult with your attorney or adoption agency to find the appropriate procedure for your family.