Marriage License – FAQs

Do we each need to fill out an application?

  • Each couple will complete only one application. Applications are available at the Probate Court, or on the website at Marriage License Application. (Applications completed at home must be printed, and brought into the Court.) Both applicants must be present when applying for a license.

How can I get married by the Court, or a judge or justice of the peace?

  • In Summit County, a Judge in one of these Municipal Courts may perform marriage ceremonies:
  • Akron Municipal Court: (330) 375-2059; 217 S. High Street, Room 837, Akron, OH
  • Barberton Municipal Court: (330) 753-2261; 576 W. Park Avenue, Barberton, OH
  • Stow Municipal Court: (330) 564-4166; 400 Courthouse Drive, Stow, OH

My fiancé is homebound or in a nursing home, hospital or hospice due to illness or disability. Can we still apply for a license?

  • Please contact the Marriage License desk for more information at (330) 643-2346

I am getting married in another State or Country, where should I apply for my marriage license?

  • The Summit County Probate Court may only issue a license to couples who are getting married in the State of Ohio. It is your responsibility to contact the Probate Court (or comparable agency) where your ceremony will take place. If you need to find out if your marriage in another country is legally binding in the State of Ohio, you may contact the Office of the Attorney General of Ohio at 800-282-0515.