My relative passed away, and I want to open an Estate. Where do I begin?
- Opening a case in Probate Court depends on the value of the deceased person’s property and any assets that were not transferable upon death. See My Loved One Passed Away section of the website.
What happens if I cannot find the Will?
- Check with Probate Court to see if the Will is on file. You may also contact your family’s attorney to see if they have the original or a copy in their possession. If the Will was not filed at the Court or at the attorney’s office, carefully search deposit boxes and any other locations where the deceased person may have kept valuable documents. If, after searching, you cannot find the Will, proceed with the Estate Filing as if no Will exists.
Can I get a Power of Attorney at Probate Court?
- A Power of Attorney is filed in the Recorder’s Office, located in the Ohio Building – 4th Floor (330) 643-2712 or by calling your attorney.
I need a copy of a death certificate. Can I get one at Probate?
- For a copy of a death certificate, call Vital Statistics, 1867 West Market Street, Akron, OH 44313 (330) 812-3845.
Do you accept faxes or copies for Estate filings?
- On documents where signatures are necessary, original documents are required.