- Summit County Probate Court - https://summitohioprobate.com -

Birth Registration/Corrections

Background: Prior to December 20, 1908, all birth registrations were recorded in the Probate Court of the county where the birth occurred. On that date, the Ohio Department of Health, Office of Vital Statistics, established health districts in which all live births are now recorded.

Obtaining Copies of Birth Certificates:

For births occurring before December 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court in the county where the birth occurred.

For births occurring after December 20, 1908, contact the local Vital Statistics Office or the Ohio Department of Health, Office of Vital Statistics.

Requirements for Unrecorded and Corrected Birth Certificates:

Ohio law provides that whoever claims to have been born in this State, and whose registration of birth was not recorded, or has been lost or destroyed, or has not been properly and accurately recorded, may file an application to register or correct their birth record.

Where to File:

Procedure for Delayed Registrations of Births:

Procedure for Correcting Birth Records:


Summit County Public Health Office of Vital Statistics

1867 W. Market Street

Akron, OH 44313

(330) 812-3845

www.scphoh.org [5]

Ohio Department of Health Office of Vital Statistics

P.O. Box 15098

Columbus, OH 43215-0098

(614) 466-2531

www.odh.ohio.gov [6]

Summit County Probate Court Records Room

209 S. High Street

Akron, OH 44308-1668

(330) 643-2352

recordsinfo@summitohioprobate.com [3]

Filing Fees:

Legal Practice in the Probate Court:

Legal practice in the Probate Court is restricted by law to attorneys who are licensed by the Supreme Court of Ohio. If an individual wishes to handle his or her own case, he or she may do so; however, they may not represent others. Due to the complexity of the law and the desire to avoid costly errors, most individuals who have filings before the Court are represented by an attorney. Deputy clerks are prevented by law from practicing law and therefore are limited in the advice they are permitted to give.



How can I add the father's information to a birth certificate?

There are several ways to establish paternity in Ohio. Our Court recommends that you contact the Ohio Paternity Enhancement Program for information on which procedure is correct for your circumstance. Their office is located at:

131 North High Street

Suite 320 Columbus, Ohio 43215

Phone: 1-888-810-6446

www.oh-paternity.com [7]

Will a new birth certificate be issued after corrections are made?

Yes, there will be a new birth certificate issued by the Office of Vital Statistics in Columbus, Ohio. Once our Court has issued an order to correct a birth certificate, a certified copy is sent to the Office of Vital Statistics where the correction to the actual birth record is made. A new birth certificate will also be available at your local Vital Statistics Office.

How long after a correction or delayed registration is filed will the actual birth certificate be made available?

Since these birth certificates are issued in Columbus, Ohio, the wait time for a new birth certificate can take anywhere from two (2) to four (4) months. A certified copy of the Court’s judgment order can be obtained and may be used to show that a new birth certificate will be issued. Offices requiring a birth certificate may or may not accept the judgment order as proof. It will vary from office to office.