My Loved One Has Passed

My Loved One Has Passed

Jan 9, 2015

When a person dies, some assets automatically transfer to named beneficiaries like life insurance or investment accounts; others can transfer outside of probate, such as joint and survivorship real estate or property recorded to transfer on death. All other property, real or personal, must be transferred through Probate court. This is known as “probating the estate.” Once Probate receives a request to open and administer an estate, the Court appoints a “fiduciary” to handle the affairs of the deceased person.

The fiduciary first inventories the decedent’s assets and liabilities to ensure that property is properly collected, managed, and fairly distributed among the creditors and their heirs and/or beneficiaries, according to the directions of the decedent and/or the laws of Ohio.

Naming a fiduciary to administer the estate, hiring an attorney, probating the Will, and handling all of the financial responsibilities can be a daunting process. Due to the complexity of the law and the legal issues that may be involved in estate administration, the Court recommends that all fiduciaries seek legal counsel. Good legal advice and guidance can expedite probate and prevent costly errors.

The value of each estate’s assets determines the type of estate filing that is required.  Learn when it is appropriate and how to file an estate on your own.
Click for Video


Answers regarding Stimulus Payments and the death of a loved one.

This and other answers can be found at the The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website.

Does someone who dies qualify for the stimulus payment?

No.  Payments made to someone who died before the payment should be returned. Return the entire Economic Impact Payment (EIP) unless it was made to joint filers and one spouse had not died before receipt of the Payment.  In that case, you only need to return the portion of the Payment made on account of the decedent. This amount will be $1,200 unless adjusted gross income exceeded $150,000.

How to return:

If a paper check:

      1. Write “void” in the endorsement section on the back of the check.
      2. Mail the voided Treasury check immediately to the appropriate IRS location.
      3. Don’t staple, bend, or paper clip the check.
      4. Include a note stating the reason for the return of the check.

If the payment was a paper check and you have cashed it, or if the payment was a direct deposit:

      1. Submit a personal check, money order, etc. immediately to the appropriate IRS location.
      2. Write on the check/money order made payable to “U.S. Treasury” and write 2020 EIP, and the taxpayer identification number (social security number or individual tax identification number) of the recipient of the check.
      3. Include a brief explanation for the reason for returning the EIP.

In Ohio mail to:

Kansas City Refund Inquiry Unit
333 W. Pershing Rd.
Mail Stop 6800, N2
Kansas City, MO  64108


The types of estate filing include:

Short Form Release from Administration

When the deceased person’s estate is valued at $4,500 or less, and the funeral bill is paid, click on the following Short Form Release from Administration.

Instructions for Filing Short Form Release from Administration


Summary Release from Administration

When the deceased person’s estate is valued under the lesser of $5,000 or the amount of decedent’s funeral and burial expenses and the applicant has paid the funeral bill (or is obliged in writing to pay the funeral bill), or there is a surviving spouse, assets are under $45,000, and the decedent’s funeral and burial expenses have been prepaid, paid by the surviving spouse (or the spouse is obligated in writing to pay the funeral bill), follow the instructions for a Summary Release from Administration.

Instructions for Filing Summary Release from Administration


Release from Administration

When there is no surviving spouse and assets are under $35,000 or there is a surviving spouse and assets are under $100,000, click on the following Release from Administration.

Instructions for Filing Release from Administration


Full Administration

When there is a surviving spouse and assets are over $100,000, or there is no surviving spouse and assets are over $35,000, or a Wrongful Death/Litigation Action has been filed with the Court, click on the following Full Administration of an Estate.

Instructions for Full Administration of an Estate

Steps for Full Estate Administration:

  • Notice of death and application to administer the estate (probate of Will if one exists).
  • Appointment a fiduciary.
  • Gathering assets and filing an Inventory. The Inventory is due ninety (90) days after appointment.
  • Payment of creditors.
  • Filing and payment of estate taxes if required.
  • Distribution of assets to beneficiary(s) or heir(s).
  • Closing the estate and filing a final account.
  • The average estate should be finalized within thirteen months of the date of appointment of the fiduciary. However, where litigation, federal or state tax returns, or creditor disputes exist, the estate may require a longer administration.


Real Estate Transfer Only

When the sole probate asset is Real Estate and is subject to comply with Local Rule 57.4, follow Instructions for filing Real Estate Transfer Only.


Real Estate Appraisal Information

When seeking a real estate appraisal, you may choose one of the following three options:

  1. Obtain a printout from the County Fiscal Office of the property tax appraisal for the year of the decedent’s death.
  2. Hire an appraiser from the Court’s Appraiser’s List.
  3. For an appraiser not on the Appraiser’s List, please provide the appraiser’s certification/documentation along with Form 3.0 – Appointment of Appraiser.

NOTE: Probate Court does not promote or recommend a specific appraiser and has not verified the background, qualifications, experience, or business practices of any appraiser on the following list. It is your responsibility to verify the individual appraiser chosen for your real estate appraisal.

Court Appraiser’s List


Procedure for changing a property’s tax value from the existing Auditor’s value to an Appraised value

  1. Contact an attorney to file a “Motion & Order to Vacate the Judgement Entry, Dispensing with the Appraisal.”
  2. Once the Order has been approved, the next step is to file Form 3.0 Appointment of Appraiser.
  3. After the appraiser has been appointed, have the real estate in question appraised.
  4. Once the written appraisal is received, file it along with Form 6.0 Inventory with Appraisal and Form 6.1 Schedule of Assets..


Should questions arise, call the Accounts Department at (330) 643-2337 or (330) 643-2338.
To view a video on the real estate Change of Transfer process, watch: Certificate of Transfer

Estate Administration FAQ’s