An Update may be filed if the child was previously adopted through
the Summit County Probate Court and your home study is current.
The couple must be married for 6 months before the adoption can be finalized. The wedding date is the start of the adoptive placement.
What I need to do for a Second Parent Adoption Update:
- A certified copy of the petitioner’s Marriage License Abstract/Application (from the Court that issued the license) and divorce decrees (if applicable).
- A certified copy of the original Birth Certificate for the petitioner and spouse.
When Filing for a Second Parent Adoption Update:
- All forms must be typed.
- Use full birth names; no initials.
- If there is no middle name, use (NMI) in the spaces provided.
- Make sure all signatures are on all forms.
Fill out and file these forms:
- Form 18.0 – Amended Petition for Adoption of Minor.
- Form AD.7.1 – Motion to Reopen Case for Purpose of Second Parent Adoption Update.
- Form AD.7.2 – Order to Reopen Case for Purpose of Second Parent Adoption Update.
- Form 18.3 – Consent to Adoption (from parent listed on birth certificate).
- Form AD.2.2 – Instructions for Criminal Background Checks and Results.
- Form 18.1 – Judgment Entry Setting Hearing and Ordering Notice.
- Form 18.7 – Amended Final Decree of Adoption.
- Form HEA 2757 – Certificate of Adoption – State of Ohio Dept. of Health.
- The filing fee is $65 per child.
- If you use a credit card, a 3% charge will be added.
- Make checks payable to the “Summit County Probate Court.”