Request for Foreign Birth Record

Filing for a Foreign Birth Record will give you an Ohio birth record for an adopted foreign child living in Summit County.


What I need to do when requesting a Foreign Birth Record:

  • Bring the original and a copy of the Foreign Adoption Decree or Certificate of Adoption, and the birth certificate. If these documents are in a language other than English, you must bring a certified translation of each document. The Court will review each document and return the originals to you.
  • Bring the original and a copy of the passport, visa and citizenship papers. The Court will review each document and return the originals to you.
  • At the time of filing, adoptive parents must provide a certified copy of their birth certificates and marriage license. After review, the Court will return these documents to you.


Filing Forms and additional information:

  • It is suggested that you personally visit the Court to submit all necessary paperwork, forms, and fees at the time of filing.
  • All forms must be typed.
  • Use full names and no initials.
  • If there is no middle name or initial, use (NMI) in the spaces provided.
  • Make certain that all signatures are included on all forms.
  • If the birth date needs to be corrected, you must have a letter from a doctor explaining why the birth date needs to be changed.
  • When the foreign birth record is created, it will come directly from Columbus and may take a few months. If the birth certificate is incorrect please contact the Court.


Fill out and file these forms:

Form HEA 2757 – Certificate of Adoption

Form 19.2 – Petition to Recognize Foreign Adoption

Form 19.3 – Order for Ohio Birth Record of Foreign Born Child


Filing Fees:

  • The filing fee is $50.
  • If you use a credit card, a 3% charge will be added.
  • Make checks payable to “Summit County Probate Court.”
  • In addition to the filing fee, the cost for a new birth certificate is $21.50. This can only be paid by a money order, and made payable to “Treasurer, State of Ohio.”
  • A certified copy of the Order for an Ohio Birth Record of a Foreign Born Child is $1.10.



Note: The Court cannot advise you of which is the proper course of action (foreign birth record or foreign adoption) for your child. Please consult with your attorney or adoption agency to find the appropriate procedure for your family.