Notice: The adopting parent(s) or Petitioners must be represented by an Attorney or Ohio Agency. You cannot complete an adoption without an attorney or agency representation!
- Representation by an Attorney or Ohio Agency is mandatory.
- The child must be placed in the home of the petitioners for purposes of adoption for 6 months before the adoption will be finalized.
- A Certified copy of the long form birth certificate of the adoptive child must contain the doctor and hospital’s name. This form of the birth certificate is available at your local health department.
- If the child is going to keep their birth name, a letter must be filed from both the child and petitioners regarding this decision and showing support.
- If after the paperwork is filed and the decision is made to the change the adoptee’s name, an amended Form 18.0 must be filed with Court. The filing fee for this amended form is $30.
- If your agency requires any documents file-stamped and returned, please provide all copies. The Court only needs originals. All two-sided documents must use the binding position of top bind. Hearing dates and case numbers will be completed by the clerk.
When Filing for an Agency Adoption:
- All forms must be typed.
- Use full birth-names and no initials.
- If there is no middle name or initial, use (NMI) in the spaces provided.
- Submit all necessary paperwork at the time of filing.
- Make sure all signatures are included on all forms.
The following State forms/reports must be filed (agency provided):
- Copy of Judgment Entry/Order terminating parental rights from Juvenile Court (PCSA)
- Form 1673 – Adoption Homestudy, Form 1385 Updates (if applicable), and Post Placement Reports
- Copy of Foster Care License (if applicable)
- BCI/FBI final report
- Form 1699 – Prefinalization Adoption Assessment (contains biological parents information)
- Form JFS 1616 – Social and Medical History (signed and containing NON-IDENTIFYING information)
- Indian Release Letter (if applicable) Note: Federal law requires strict compliance with the Indian Child Welfare Act
- Form 1661 – Interstate Compact Placement Request 100-A (if applicable)
- Putative Father Registry – Final results (PCPA)
- Form 1666 – Permanent Surrender of Child (PCPA)
- Form JFS 1693 – Ohio Adoption Laws and Materials (PCPA)
The following Probate forms must be filed:
- Form 18.0 – Petition for Adoption of Minor Child
- Form 18.3 – Consent to be signed by Executive of Agency and notarized
- Form 18.1 – Judgment Entry Setting Hearing and Ordering Notice
- Form 18.7 – Final Decree of Adoption (without Interlocutory Order)
- Form 18.9 – Petitioner’s Account – with separate list of birth mother expenses (if applicable)
- Form HEA 2757 – Certificate of Adoption
- The filing fee is $159 for the first child and $121 for each additional child.
- If you use a credit card, a 3% charge will be added.
- Make checks payable to the “Summit County Probate Court.”